Skip to main content

What happens after we place an order?

Once an order has been placed, it is up to me to properly prepare the images to the specifications needed for the individual lab that will be handling the post processing work.

Light Meter.  I use this to calibrate
each camera/lens combo, and also
to create perfect exposures in the
camera room.
Now, some may say – “Tim, why don’t you print things yourself?”   Ah, good question.  My answer is this:  I want to spend as much time as I can doing what I do best – creating great images, and designing the end products.  I know a bit about printing, and I also know enough that I would have to hire a full staff, open a much larger shop, or off-site building just to handle print orders.  I also know that there is a multitude of equipment to buy (and provide upkeep for), and then I would have to oversee all of the quality control for those things.  By having a professional lab handle my orders, I am left with more time to spend with clients, creating images that they are going to love, and finished art pieces for their home that are going to be displayed for a lifetime.
White/Grey Card.
Got to keep that white
balance accurate!

Back to the topic – Processing an order.  So, once an order is placed, I have to properly prepare everything for the print lab.  Back up a step.  Before I even get into the camera room, I have to make sure all of my equipment is properly calibrated for the labs that I use, this ensures that all final images (which are to become art prints) have a perfect representation of true color and exposure.

xRite Color Checker.  This allows me to create custom color
profiles at each shoot - ensuring true color accuracy, and
perfect prints each time.
Right, back to the topic – Processing an order.  OKAY – so I’ve got my cameras and monitors calibrated, we did the photo session, I processed the images, the clients came back to review everything and put in an order.  Lets say they ordered a wall collage, a canvas, a pop-out holiday card set, and some ornaments.  Typical order.  So, to get started, I have to make digital copies of each image that is going to be sent to each lab, with the right color profile assigned to that image.  During the color profile assigning part of the task I also size the image with the ideal resolution for the specific product it is going to be printed on.  SO – for the order above, the wall collage could have (3) 5x5s, (2) 11x17s, and a 5x11.  Each image will be sized to the exact dimensions with the proper resolution.  Now – to make things tricky, the canvas could be one of the images from the collage, and then used again for the greeting cards an ornaments...
Spyder4 Elite.  This tool allows me to calibrate my computer
monitors and projector - this way I know that what I am looking
while editing is going to be accurate and true to what my final
printed product is going to be.


This means that for the 3 separate products using the same image I will process that one image 3 separate times (which may mean 3 different color profiles for each lab, as well as different sizing to match the appropriate printing surface) to make it perfect for each product.  And yes – it may be going to 3 different labs!  I use one lab for the metal wall collages, another lab that specializes in canvas gallery wraps, and then yet another lab that has the best press printed cards I have ever seen.  SO, it isn’t just merely taking an order and pushing “send”.  I’m spending some serious time preparing the files for the lab to ensure that everything is going to come back looking PERFECT.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So You Want To Be A Photographer?

Are you interested in becoming a photographer?  Do you want to turn your passion for creating images into a source of income to support yourself and your family? Tim Walck Photography will soon be offering online courses in photography training, and portrait business training.  Each course will span 4-8 weeks.  Every student who participates in all classes will gain the tools necessary to succeed in the wedding and portrait photography business. ---- I started my photography business with only $2,000, which I had saved from working as a tele-marker, social services provider, and substitute teacher, all while being a full time graduate student at Mansfield University.  That was enough to buy a camera, lens, and flash.  I poured my heart and soul into photography, read everything I could get my hands on, and began to build my business.  After 3 short years of juggling multiple jobs, and being a photographer on the side, I made the leap into photography full time, and opened

The Struggle with Senior Portraits Posing for Guys

If you search Pinterest for senior photos, overwhelmingly, girls show up.  Tons and tons of examples of beautiful senior girls in flowery fields, on the town, in a stream.  There are a few exceptions (and some really great ones) for guys, but it made me stop and think about the struggle with taking senior photos of boys.  Sure, many of them aren't really into it, but rather having photos done because mom said so.  Many aren't used to having such undivided and direct attention showered their way.  Also, the teenage years can be awkward for boys.  Where do you put your hands?  How do you look like you're not enjoying it too much?  What if you're not into sports?  The struggle is real... but fixable.   Here are our some of our best senior portraits and tips for making them feel comfortable : #1.  Talk to them and wait for just the right moment for the "natural smile".     #2.  Photograph them in places they love, doing what they love, and wearing w

Supporting Local Heroes: Fire Prevention Week

Meg's grandpa, Bob Pekarski, on our wedding day. Firemen have always held a special place in Meg's heart. Growing up, her hero was not only her grandpa, but he was a volunteer fireman too.  Her grandpa taught her many things about hard work, dedication, and being prepared. With Fire Prevention Week coming up, we thought it would be nice to do some throwbacks to some of our favorite firemen (and women) that have given us the honor of working with our studio throughout the years. Hannah & Dave Lacher Hannah & Dave are with the Roulette Volunteer Fire Company  and are some of the most wonderful people we know.  We've been blessed to celebrate their wedding, their pregnancy, and their precious, growing family.  Click to read all about their adorable firehall maternity shoot  and also their newborn portrait session  (and see some of their favorite images). Mr. & Mrs. Lacher with their wedding party and fabulous ride. Tadd & Joe Ostroski Like