Skip to main content

I Failed...

There were about 20 imagesfrom this batch that were total and utter
failures!  I knew the spot had some 
great potential, but I wasn't sure how
everything would look once I got back
to the studio to edit everything.
To make the photo,
I found this neat old fire escape, and began
experimenting with it.  I had to make shade
from the sun, and then bring in some lights.
I tossed an orange gel over the hair light,
and used one key light to the left of
the subject.  I just experimented with light
and shadows, and we had fun at the session.
Turns out that those 20 failed images were
totally worth it, because this one is great!  
I make it a point to fail at something during every photo session or wedding.  WHAT! ?  Yep.  I know I’m going to do it – I’m going to make an image that is terrible.  I am always trying new things – new ways to direct people, to pose people, new ways to play with light and exposure, to compose an image, new ways to put multiple images into a single composition… the list goes on and on.  This means that I am going to fail, and fail often.

Failing is a huge part of success, discovery, and growth as a photographer.  If I only stick to what I know makes an excellent photo, then I will never make something extraordinary.  I know that I want to make the best images, which are unique to and for the people I am working with - and that requires me to experiment all the time.  I have a core of key compositions and poses that I use (I call those the "safe" images) because I know they will work, which ensures that clients are going to be happy, just incase whatever I try thats new ends up being a flop.  I don't tell them that I may be creating a crap photo though... I just do it.  Honestly though, 70% of the time the images that are out of the normal realm of "safe" poses/lighting/composition setups are the ones that my clients love the most, and end up putting on their walls.





I thought I'd try something new at this wedding.  I saw this
beautiful field of ferns, and a natural tunnel created by
pine trees.  I had this vision of a sunset being in the photo...
only problem was that it was a cloudy day and the sun
was directly over our heads.  So I decided to experiment a bit,
and this is the image I came up with.
I knew that I wanted a composition with drama and tension,
so I framed it with the bride slightly off center facing
the short side of the frame instead of into the big area
of the frame.  Then I created a sun, and did a bit of
dodging and burning in PS5 to add depth.
I had tried this technique 2 times before, and it was a total epic
failure, but I was determined to make something amazing.
I love this image! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Struggle with Senior Portraits Posing for Guys

If you search Pinterest for senior photos, overwhelmingly, girls show up.  Tons and tons of examples of beautiful senior girls in flowery fields, on the town, in a stream.  There are a few exceptions (and some really great ones) for guys, but it made me stop and think about the struggle with taking senior photos of boys.  Sure, many of them aren't really into it, but rather having photos done because mom said so.  Many aren't used to having such undivided and direct attention showered their way.  Also, the teenage years can be awkward for boys.  Where do you put your hands?  How do you look like you're not enjoying it too much?  What if you're not into sports?  The struggle is real... but fixable.   Here are our some of our best senior portraits and tips for making them feel comfortable : #1.  Talk to them and wait for just the right moment for the "natural smile".     #2.  Photograph them in places they love, doing what they love, and wearing w

So You Want To Be A Photographer?

Are you interested in becoming a photographer?  Do you want to turn your passion for creating images into a source of income to support yourself and your family? Tim Walck Photography will soon be offering online courses in photography training, and portrait business training.  Each course will span 4-8 weeks.  Every student who participates in all classes will gain the tools necessary to succeed in the wedding and portrait photography business. ---- I started my photography business with only $2,000, which I had saved from working as a tele-marker, social services provider, and substitute teacher, all while being a full time graduate student at Mansfield University.  That was enough to buy a camera, lens, and flash.  I poured my heart and soul into photography, read everything I could get my hands on, and began to build my business.  After 3 short years of juggling multiple jobs, and being a photographer on the side, I made the leap into photography full time, and opened

Supporting Local Heroes: Fire Prevention Week

Meg's grandpa, Bob Pekarski, on our wedding day. Firemen have always held a special place in Meg's heart. Growing up, her hero was not only her grandpa, but he was a volunteer fireman too.  Her grandpa taught her many things about hard work, dedication, and being prepared. With Fire Prevention Week coming up, we thought it would be nice to do some throwbacks to some of our favorite firemen (and women) that have given us the honor of working with our studio throughout the years. Hannah & Dave Lacher Hannah & Dave are with the Roulette Volunteer Fire Company  and are some of the most wonderful people we know.  We've been blessed to celebrate their wedding, their pregnancy, and their precious, growing family.  Click to read all about their adorable firehall maternity shoot  and also their newborn portrait session  (and see some of their favorite images). Mr. & Mrs. Lacher with their wedding party and fabulous ride. Tadd & Joe Ostroski Like