Skip to main content

The Psychology of Looking Good

So - you have a love/hate relationship with pictures?  You love to look at portrait sessions of friends and family members, but you feel that you do not look as good as someone else.

I've been there.

Yep - this photographer used to HATE having his own picture taken.  Like many, I was self-conscious of my body.  I'm a chicken armed, beer bellied, bad postured, fat-lipped mess!  Or at least that's what I saw when I looked at my own photo.  You know what the truth is?  No one else cares what I think of myself, because they see me as a person, not a model in a magazine ad.  Once I figured that out, I stopped caring how I looked physically in an image.

To the right is a selfie I made last year.  If I cover up my face, and force myself to look at the image as if it isn't of myself, then I am able to see that I don't look like a sloppy mess.  Granted... this image hides any beer belly with a black shirt, shadows, and a tenor sax...(which I may have done intentionally)  But really, no one looking at pics of me cares, or knows that I hated my own image.  All they see is some dude rocking out with a tenor sax and a sweet beard (which my wife made me shave bt dubs).

So how does one get over the self-conscious aspect of seeing their own photo?

Stop being selfish!  Realize this: You have your photo taken for more than yourself...  It is for your family.  For me, I had to become a daddy to realize this (even though I'm a professional photographer, and tell these things to clients often).  I had to realize that photos of me are for my daughter, because I will not be around forever.  Lets be real - death is part of life, and one day it will get me.  Who ever is left is going to want (at least I hope...) images to stir up good memories, and they aren't going to care that I thought my lips were fat and my arms were too skinny. 

So, me not letting my image be created is a selfish act, where I am taking future memories away from my daughter.  Once this hit me, all my cares about having my photo taken melted away.  Now I embrace the opportunity, and just remember that the person looking at my photo cares about it more than I do, and that is more important than me caring about my imperfections.

Other people love you, so don't be selfish!  It will put a smile on someone else, and that's more important than your own feelings about your physical appearance.  


Thanks for reading,

Comments & Stories welcome!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So You Want To Be A Photographer?

Are you interested in becoming a photographer?  Do you want to turn your passion for creating images into a source of income to support yourself and your family? Tim Walck Photography will soon be offering online courses in photography training, and portrait business training.  Each course will span 4-8 weeks.  Every student who participates in all classes will gain the tools necessary to succeed in the wedding and portrait photography business. ---- I started my photography business with only $2,000, which I had saved from working as a tele-marker, social services provider, and substitute teacher, all while being a full time graduate student at Mansfield University.  That was enough to buy a camera, lens, and flash.  I poured my heart and soul into photography, read everything I could get my hands on, and began to build my business.  After 3 short years of juggling multiple jobs, and being a photographer on the side, I made the leap into photography full time, and opened

The Struggle with Senior Portraits Posing for Guys

If you search Pinterest for senior photos, overwhelmingly, girls show up.  Tons and tons of examples of beautiful senior girls in flowery fields, on the town, in a stream.  There are a few exceptions (and some really great ones) for guys, but it made me stop and think about the struggle with taking senior photos of boys.  Sure, many of them aren't really into it, but rather having photos done because mom said so.  Many aren't used to having such undivided and direct attention showered their way.  Also, the teenage years can be awkward for boys.  Where do you put your hands?  How do you look like you're not enjoying it too much?  What if you're not into sports?  The struggle is real... but fixable.   Here are our some of our best senior portraits and tips for making them feel comfortable : #1.  Talk to them and wait for just the right moment for the "natural smile".     #2.  Photograph them in places they love, doing what they love, and wearing w

Supporting Local Heroes: Fire Prevention Week

Meg's grandpa, Bob Pekarski, on our wedding day. Firemen have always held a special place in Meg's heart. Growing up, her hero was not only her grandpa, but he was a volunteer fireman too.  Her grandpa taught her many things about hard work, dedication, and being prepared. With Fire Prevention Week coming up, we thought it would be nice to do some throwbacks to some of our favorite firemen (and women) that have given us the honor of working with our studio throughout the years. Hannah & Dave Lacher Hannah & Dave are with the Roulette Volunteer Fire Company  and are some of the most wonderful people we know.  We've been blessed to celebrate their wedding, their pregnancy, and their precious, growing family.  Click to read all about their adorable firehall maternity shoot  and also their newborn portrait session  (and see some of their favorite images). Mr. & Mrs. Lacher with their wedding party and fabulous ride. Tadd & Joe Ostroski Like