Skip to main content

Boutique Photography Shops VS Department Store Photography - The Epic Battle.

Tim, why would I spend so much more money for you to make my family photos when I could go to a department store for so much less?

Great question!

Custom Jewelry, solid .925 silver 
I am a boutique photography service, which means I spend as much time with you as possible, and I see through from start to finish that we create the perfect art piece(s) from your session for your home that "wows" your family and friends.  I offer high quality, unique and beautiful products, often that require hours of design time.  I pour my heart and soul into each piece that I make and pride myself with the end results.  The final products that I create for each client are as much for me as for them.   I care very much about my work, and that shines through to the end results.

A department store photography shop is an assembly line designed to get you in an out as quickly as possible, offering low quality products that require little knowledge and experience to submit an order, and the most minimal in personalization and design. Their big selling point is a low price.  With their low price and high volume of clients also comes a lack of service (because you become a number to them), and a poor selection of low quality products.

Custom Solid Maple Guest Signature Board
I offer custom photo sessions at your location - whether it be at your house, in the forest, or even out of this country (yes, I will travel anywhere for you - we were just in Jamaica last month).  I am an expert in creative lighting, posing, camera technique, composition, and design.  I walk you through the ordering process to help you select the perfect image, on the right art medium - whether that is paper, aluminum, maple, flagstone, an album etc...  I'll spend my time creating a special piece just for you, and I even offer to help install larger items in your home for you.

Of course this level of service with high end products will have a different price tag than a department store photo shop - it will also bring long lasting, customized art pieces to your home.  Would you prefer an image that you LOVE on a wall that you walk past every day, or would you prefer a cheap-o image that you don't really care for?

Aluminum panels hanging from an aluminum bar in a mosaic
tile presentation.  I call these a "Montage Wall" 
As a boutique shop, I take extra steps just to be sure that I am giving you the best experience and providing you with the best products.  For example, I add a spray laminate protection to each paper print that leaves my shop to ensure it lasts.  Each paper print is packaged in it's own gift box with care to be sure that nothing gets bent or damaged on the way home.  I have every lab product come through my shop before it goes to a client just so I can be sure the quality is perfect.  If there is ever an issue I take pride in going above and beyond to fix it, this way customers know that I am committed to brining them the best service possible.

"Image Blocks" - thick photographic paper wrapped
over a wood frame, with smaller wrapped blocks
mounted on the larger piece.   Fully designable piece -
these are a must see!
Perhaps the biggest difference between my shop, and a department store is style and brand.  When people come to my shop, they want my products, created and designed with my style.  They are coming to my store because they have seen my work, and know they want a Tim Walck Photography Metal Print Collage, or Custom Designed Wedding Album.  I have customers walk into my store and they already know what they want just because they saw what a friend has hanging in their living room.  I have worked very hard to develop my own style and brand, and I'm happy to say that I have a steady stream of customers, and repeat customers who are in love with my brand.  Would you rather tell a guest in your house... "this is our department store photo", or "This is our custom Canvas, Tim Walck designed it from scratch just for us!"
Crystal Cover Album with Ridged Pages, and Leather Cover

I guess if we are going with a brand analogy - I am the equivalent of a craft beer brewing company.  I create flavors of photography that you can only get in my shop, in the little town of Coudersport Pennsylvania.  The department store brand would be the equivalent of Coors Light - you can get it anywhere, its cheap, and there is zero "wow" factor.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So You Want To Be A Photographer?

Are you interested in becoming a photographer?  Do you want to turn your passion for creating images into a source of income to support yourself and your family? Tim Walck Photography will soon be offering online courses in photography training, and portrait business training.  Each course will span 4-8 weeks.  Every student who participates in all classes will gain the tools necessary to succeed in the wedding and portrait photography business. ---- I started my photography business with only $2,000, which I had saved from working as a tele-marker, social services provider, and substitute teacher, all while being a full time graduate student at Mansfield University.  That was enough to buy a camera, lens, and flash.  I poured my heart and soul into photography, read everything I could get my hands on, and began to build my business.  After 3 short years of juggling multiple jobs, and being a photographer on the side, I made the leap into photography full time, and opened

The Struggle with Senior Portraits Posing for Guys

If you search Pinterest for senior photos, overwhelmingly, girls show up.  Tons and tons of examples of beautiful senior girls in flowery fields, on the town, in a stream.  There are a few exceptions (and some really great ones) for guys, but it made me stop and think about the struggle with taking senior photos of boys.  Sure, many of them aren't really into it, but rather having photos done because mom said so.  Many aren't used to having such undivided and direct attention showered their way.  Also, the teenage years can be awkward for boys.  Where do you put your hands?  How do you look like you're not enjoying it too much?  What if you're not into sports?  The struggle is real... but fixable.   Here are our some of our best senior portraits and tips for making them feel comfortable : #1.  Talk to them and wait for just the right moment for the "natural smile".     #2.  Photograph them in places they love, doing what they love, and wearing w

4 Steps to a Successful Senior Portrait Session

In many professional photography circles, the question about how to have a successful senior portrait session always seems to come up.  Well, at Walck Portraits , we've found that it's quite easy.  In fact, we've laid it out in a step-by-step list. Step One:  Find Some Awesome Seniors to Participate in a Senior Modeling Program In January, we start looking for seniors to participate in our senior modeling program.  It's easy:  they come in for a planning session, have their portraits taken, and then they are given our senior representative cards.  For every person that books a session from their representative cards, the seniors earn $100 in print credit. Step Two:  Have Fun Taking Beautiful Images that They (and their moms) Love Step Three:  Schedule & Shoot Their Summer/Fall (Traditionally-Timed) Senior Session Step Four:  Show Off Their Unique Styles & Personalities Shaylei is a sweet girl who is in the color guard and enjoys